Professional Certificate in Psychedelic Practice
Numinous Ways is proud to partner with PHP EDUCATION, a leading organisation offering a comprehensive certificate programme in psychedelic practice. This Programme equips mental health professionals with the necessary knowledge, skills, and ethical framework to facilitate safe and transformative psychedelic experiences.
As part of our commitment to supporting the growth and development of the psychedelic community, Numinous Ways provides practical placements for students enrolled in the PHP certificate programme. These placements offer valuable hands-on experience and the opportunity to apply the theoretical knowledge gained in the programme in a real-world setting.
During the practical placements, students will have the chance to work closely with our experienced team of facilitators and therapists. They will have the opportunity to observe and assist in various aspects of our retreats, including preparation, integration, and harm reduction practices. This immersive experience allows PHP students to witness the profound impact of psychedelic-assisted experiences and gain invaluable insights into everything that goes into the facilitation process behind the scenes.
By offering practical placements, Numinous Ways aims to create a supportive learning environment and contribute to the professional development of aspiring psychedelic facilitators. We also believe in the importance of mentorship in order to cultivate competent and compassionate practitioners who are dedicated to upholding the highest standards of care and safety in the psychedelic field.
If you are enrolled in the PHP certificate programme and are seeking a meaningful and immersive practical placement, we invite you to explore the opportunities available at Numinous Ways. Join us on this journey of personal and professional growth as we work together to create a more conscious and transformative future with psychedelics. For further information, please feel free to reach out to our team or consult with your course tutors.
- PHP initially began as an informal collective of health professionals, all interested in developing safe and legal working practice with psychedelics. It has now formed into two separate organisations – PHP Education Co and PHP Network. We also collaborate with Numinous Ways who provide legal psychedelic retreats.
- PHP Education incorporated as an organisation to deliver psychedelic education into medical schools, to professional bodies and to the lay public.
- The Professional Certificate in Psychedelic Practice is the culmination of two years of work, designing and delivering educational content to educate and train facilitators for the PHP Retreats team.
- A one-year postgraduate educational programme, running from September 2023 – July 2024
- Designed for those already working in professional practice
- Delivered online, the majority of live teaching takes place at weekends, on the first Saturday morning of the month (except for September 9th, 2023 and Jan 16th, 2024 )
- You will also meet online every two weeks in small learning pods – for deeper exploration of the module content and to begin to put knowledge into practice
- One full-day intensive to take place towards the beginning of each Trimester:
- Saturday, October 7th, 2023
- Saturday, March 16th, 2024
- Saturday, June 1st, 2024
- This course will be delivered by the Psychedelic Health Professionals’ Education team
- We are all facilitators with experience of working on PHP retreats, supporting people undergoing psilocybin journeys
- Several of us also work legally with, or adjacent to, psychedelics in the form of clinical research, psychedelic preparation and integration
- Guest speakers will be teaching on our intensive days:
- Professor David Nutt
- Dr Ashley Murphy-Beiner
- Dr David Luke
- We are also hoping to be joined by some notable contributors from the psychedelic field
- For more info on the course tutors, click here.
- Trimester 1 – The Roots
Module 1 – September – An Introduction to Psychedelics
Module 2 – October – Psychedelics in Human History
Module 3 – November – Indications and Screening
Module 4 – December – Launching the Helical Themes for the course: Self-Care, Personal Development, The Transpersonal’,
- Trimester 2 – The Shoots
Module 5 – January – Preparing the Soil
Module 6 – February – Supporting a Psychedelic Experience
Module 7 – March – Boundaries, Consent, and Therapeutic Touch
Module 8 – April – Challenging Experiences
- Trimester 3 – The Fruits
Module 9 – May – Integrating the Psychedelic Experience
Module 10 – June – Psychedelics in Other Settings (nature, meditation, VR, recreational use, and
Module 11 – July – Sowing Further Seeds…
- Helical themes
These important areas will weave throughout the course, and will be a focus of our intensive days:
- Personal development
- The transpersonal experience
- Ethics and safety
Health and social care professionals who are registered (or registrable) with a regulatory body, with at least two years of experience.
This programme is suitable for:
- psychotherapists, counsellors, counselling psychologists
- mental health nurses, social workers, occupational therapists
- psychiatrists, palliative care doctors, GPs or other doctors with an interest in mental health
- complementary and alternative medicine practitioners (with a university degree and at least a Level 4 qualification in their CAM discipline)
- We believe practical experience is important for anyone who wishes to sit for another person undertaking a psychedelic journey… we do not however mandate that you do this with us
- PHP Education will be working closely with Numinous Ways to be able to offer you the chance to incorporate legal practical experience into your learning journey
- We also hope to partner with other organisations in the field who provide excellent psychedelic retreats… watch this space!
- We will support you to work towards the following model, which is what we followed in our own training journey as facilitators:
- Level 1 (retreat) experience – a chance to explore your inner mindscape under the influence of a psychedelic medicine in a safe, supportive, caring, and professional setting
- Level 2 (retreat) experience – start to hold space for peers undergoing a psychedelic journey… with trained PHP facilitators present and supervising throughout
We hope to be able to offer closed retreats, solely for our learners – this will depend on numbers and interest.
- The psychedelic field is a new and evolving field. Some of the areas in which our own facilitators have gone on to work are:
- Clinical psychedelic trials
- Preparation and integration therapy
- Facilitating psychedelic retreats (with PHP Retreats and other organisations)
- Therapeutic sitting services (in the Netherlands)
- £5,000 if paying up front, plus £300 enrolment fee
- If paying in instalments, more information provided when applying
- Some small bursaries available… please enquire when applying